Oslo, Norway – May 10, 2017
Today, Opera becomes the first major browser to integrate social messenger services, allowing users to chat side-by-side as they browse. With the release of the new browser, codenamed “Reborn”, Opera continues on the path to redefine what a web browser should be.
Making social messengers great on laptops
Over the last few years, web versions of social messengers have increasingly become popular. However, switching between tabs when responding to a message has been cumbersome and inefficient, until now. With the new browser, Opera allows the messengers to reside within your browser without the need to install any extensions or apps.
Now, Opera allows users to chat with their friends while browsing. The new messenger experience includes:
- A quick access to web versions of popular messengers – Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp and Telegram – directly from the browser’s sidebar
- Simultaneous browsing and chatting with a side tab for messengers
- An option to pin the messenger tab for even easier multitasking
- Easy photo sharing by dragging any online picture to the messenger’s icon
- Shortcuts allowing users to instantly switch between messengers
- A menu button that enables you to log out from messengers directly in the browser
It’s time to rethink the browser
Over the last year, Opera has introduced a series of novel features such as free VPN and native ad blocking. At the beginning of 2017, the company released Opera Neon, a concept browser that captured the essence of how browsing might look like in the future.
Reborn is incrementally redesigning the entirety of Opera’s user experience. In this release, in addition to the new messenger experience, it brings a fresh look, new icons, colors, wallpapers and a touch of animation.
- Brand new look and feel with a high-quality graphical design that is more consistent across platforms
- Simplified, lighter and more elegant tabs
- Fresh and refined icons
- The new, more subtle and refined sidebar with a touch of animation
- Refreshed Speed Dial
- Introducing a dark theme for the browser
- A set of new backgrounds that perfectly complement Opera’s new look and feel
- Private mode animations
Opera browser is available for free for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Learn more about this version, and other improvements, in our desktop team blog post.
Find out more:
- Follow us on Twitter
- Help us share Opera with the world
- Become an Opera fan on Facebook
- Watch our videos on YouTube
Since its founding in 1996, Opera has been a pioneer in shaping the future of the internet. Providing faster and more innovative web browsers, Opera is the everyday browser of choice for more than 350 million people.
Opera Software AS is a privately held company and is headquartered in Oslo, Norway. Follow our news at http://blogs.opera.com/news/.
Opera is a trademark of Opera Software AS.