While the Nokia X series (XL, X+ and X) run Android operating system, they do not come loaded with PlayStore which means you won’t have access to millions of apps. However just like any other Android phone, you can easily sideload apps on to and install WhatApp on Nokia XL or any other X-series phone. In this tutorial we will show you how to install it.
Article updated: January 5 2015
Following method no longer works. Go to the bottom of this post to find the method that works.
1. First go to Settings > Security and tick the field that says “Unknown Sources”.
2. After that go to this link on your phone and download the v2.11.186 of WhatAspp. This is not the latest version but it is important step.
3. Exit the web browser. Then go to the Setting and change the date and time to “May 23 2014″. 4. Open the bundled Astro file manager and find the downloaded APK in the Download folder. Tap on it to install.
5. Now you have successfully installed WhatsApp on your phone but we are not done yet. Start and set up WhatsApp. Once you have done that, exit the app.
6. Fire up the web browser once again and go to http://www.whatsapp.com/android/ on your phone. Click on “Download Now” button to fetch the latest APK. After the download has completed, open the Astro file manager again and find the downloaded APK in the Download folder. Tap it to install it over previous installation.
7. Wait we are not done yet. Now if press WhatsApp icon on the start screen, you will still get the dreaded message “device not supported” but there is a workaround for that too. Tap and hold on any tile and select the button as shown below.
8. Now go to the bottom of the list and select “WhatsApp chat widget”.
That is it – you finally have WhatsApp working on your phone. This method will not void any warranty and is completely safe for installing apps. To uninstall, go to Settings > Apps > Manage Apps and find whatsapp in that list.
Method that works
1) Download the latest WhatsApp 2.11.481 APK file by clicking here on your devices or on PC. If you have downloaded the APK file on your PC, you need to transfer it back to your device by connecting it to PC.
2) Just make sure that, you have done this already, open Settings, scroll down and tap on security —> Here, tick the box in front of Unknown Sources–> Accept the warning.
3) Install the file by tapping on it and follow the instructions to register and get WhatsApp running