WhatsApp recently introduced double blue check marks in the bottom right corner of the WhatsApp message bubble. This feature allows the sender knows that the recipient already read the message. Many users would think that this feature is useful. However, some users feel it is an intrusion into their privacy.
The advantage of blue check marks is that the sender able to know if the recipient has read the message. But for some people who like to take time replying to a message, they won’t be able to make excuse that they’ve just seen a message. In a different situation when you read a message but do not reply right away, the sender may assume that you have ignored them. (read also : Important things need to know about WhatsApp check marks).
How to read a WhasApp message without the sender knowing
Here are some ways to read WhatsApp messages without showing the read receipts to the sender.
1. Disable Read Receipts Option Disabling the “Read Receipts” option will disable blue check mark that shows a message has been read. In case you do not see the option given, you need to update your Whatsapp to the latest version. Take the following steps to disable read receipts:
- Launch WhatsApp and Go to Setting
- Click Account > Privacy
- Uncheck the ‘Read Receipts’ Option
However, this method works both ways. If you disable read receipts, you will also not able to see the blue check marks for the message sent by you and keep in mind that this method cannot be applied on group conversations.
2. Turn on airplane mode Once you receive a WhatsApp message, don’t open the message. Turn on airplane mode. This method will take WhatsApp offline. Once Airplane mode enabled, open WhatsApp and read the message. Then close the application while still on Airplane mode by double tapping the iPhone’s home button then swiping upwards on the WhatsApp application, or by tapping the multitask button and closing WhatsApp application on Android. Then you can turn off airplane mode. The blue check marks will not appear on the sender’s phone until you open WhatsApp again.
3. Read WhatsApp Message from Notification Bar Once you get a WhatsApp message, it shows a notification on the notification bar. Simply swipe down the notification from the top of the screen and you can easily read the complete or partial message from the notification bar without opening the application.
4. Place WhatsApp Widget to the Home Screen This method only can be applied for Android users. You can read the whatsapp messages without the sender knowing by placing WhatsApp widget to your home screen. By reading the messages via the widget, we do not open the application so that we can prevent the blue check appears. However, note that you can only see text messages and emoticons. Images, videos and voice messages are not supported by the widget.
To add a WhatsApp widget to the Home screen, press and hold on an empty area on the screen, then select Widgets. Keep scrolling until you find WhatsApp, press and hold the WhatsApp widget, then drag it to where you want the widget appear on the Home screen.
5. Using WhatsApp Web + Firefox WhatsApp introduced a web version at the end of 2015 and it supports many web browsers. With firefox browser you can read WhatsApp message without the sender knowing by install Firefox add-on ShutApp. you can download it here.
Install ShutApp on firefox browser then go to WhatsApp for Web. Click the add-on’s icon to enable ‘WhatsApp Privacy Mode’. Once the WhatsApp Privacy Mode enabled, you will be able to read the messages on the WhatsApp web version without the sender knowing.