So, you’ve been reading up on all the wondrous new features that Microsoft has crammed into its Windows Phone 8.1 update. Now all you have to do is wait 4-6 months for HTC and your service provider to get their act together and push the new update to your phone.
Microsoft has released a Windows Phone 8.1 Preview which anyone can download and install directly to their phone. All you need is a developer account and a simple app install and you’re set to go. If you just can’t wait to get the new trace keyboard, notification center, those new home screen customizations or Microsoft’s Cortana personal assistant, follow the instructions below and you’re HTC phone will be running Windows phone 8.1 Preview in no time.
- Go to appstudio.windowsphone.com and click the “Start New Project” button in the top right corner register a free developer account. Use the Windows account (Live.com, Outlook.com, Hotmail.com) associated with your phone.
- Download the Preview for Developers app on your phone.
- Log in to the the app using the email address you used to register for a developer account.
- On your phone, go to Settings > Phone update > Check for updates. The update process will back up your data before any changes are applied. Since the 8.1 update is around 500 MB you will want to download it over Wi-Fi.
And that’s it! The download and installation process took roughly 20 minutes on our Verizon branded HTC 8X. Keep in mind that installing the Windows Phone 8.1 Preview will void your warranty.
Let us know what new Windows Phone 8.1 feature you enjoy the most.
SIM Unlock your HTC phone
- SIM unlock the HTC One (M8)
- SIM unlock the HTC One X
- SIM unlock the HTC One S
- SIM unlock the HTC 8X
- SIM unlock the HTC Vivid