There are several reasons why we could decide to delete a contact on WhatsApp: you may be dealing with unknown contact, you may be bothered by someone with awkward messages, or you might suspect that a friend is spying on you through the application, etc. In any case, all we want is to remove that contact from WhatsApp forever, so they can no longer see when we are online, our profile picture, our status or call us. We want to get rid of them permanently.
Before find out how to do this, let’s make one concept clear: to delete a contact from WhatsApp, it’s not enough to just delete their number from the phone book.
To permanently delete a contact, the first thing to do is block them!
The steps are simple and vary depending on the phone, but there are not too many differences. In any case, the first thing to do is to block the unwanted contact. Let’s see how to do this on iPhones, Androids and Blackberrys:
- Open WhatsApp and go to Settings.
- Open Account >> Privacy >> Blocked.
- Tap the Add New button to block a contact.
- Open WhatsApp and go to Chats screen.
- Tap the Menu Button > Settings > Account > Privacy > Blocked Contacts. Here you’ll find all contacts you’ve already blocked.
- In the top right, tap Add blocked contacts.
- Open WhatsApp.
- Open your application menu (button at the top of the screen).
- Click Settings > Privacy > Blocked Contacts.
- To choose which contacts you want to block, click Add Contact at the bottom of the screen.
- If you want to block an unknown contact, just open the chat with that number, scroll to the top of the conversation, and press Block.
How to delete a contact after blocking:
For some there may still be a problem: what if the contact that I blocked on WhatsApp keeps calling me?
To use this option, which blocks all calls and messages from a contact (not only on WhatsApp) it’s necessary that your iPhone is upgraded to the iOS 7 operating system at least. If you don’t know how to do this, you can follow this guide created by the official Apple support. When you upgrade the operating system, the option will be available immediately. Now, follow these guidelines and within seconds you will have blocked a contact on your iPhone.
If you change your mind…
Following the same procedure, as explained above, tap the Unblock button. Remember that when you block a contact on the iPhone, you can continue to call that person when you want, but you can no longer send messages.