Facebook bots. Slack bots. Skype bots. Why chatbot platforms and messenger apps are quickly expanding their bot inventory
Inside Facebook’s early efforts to attack TV
Advertisers can target you psychologically based on a single Facebook like, study finds
Facebook stock rocketed upward more than 5% to nearly $75 per share this morning after its Q2 earnings report blew past analysts’ expectations Wednesday.
The reason everyone underestimates Facebook is that the company is putting up such massive numbers — 1.3 billion monthly active users and nearly $3 billion in quarterly revenue. It is sometimes hard to appreciate just how truly massive Facebook is.
In reality, Facebook is probably even bigger than you think it is. The company actually has more than 2.2 billion monthly active users (MAUs) across its flagship properties:
- Facebook has 1.3 billion MAUs.
- WhatsApp has 500 million MAUs.
- Instagram has 200 million MAUs
- Messenger has 200 million MAUs.
- Total users: 2.2 billion
A year ago, Facebook reported 1.1 billion users and a few dozen million on Instagram. So the total Facebook Inc. user base has roughly doubled in a year. (Of course, many of these users are overlapping their use of more than one app.) But still — it’s huge. It’s the equivalent of nearly one in three of all the human beings on Earth.
CEO Mark Zuckerberg and COO Sheryl Sandberg also gave us these new stats on the progress of the Facebook machine, which we gleaned from Seeking Alpha’s transcript of the call:
- 12 billion messages are sent each day on Facebook
- (For reference, there are only 7 billion humans on the planet)
- 1.3 billion monthly active users are on Facebook
- 1 billion search queries are made every day on Facebook
- 1 billion people use Facebook on their phones
- 829 million people use Facebook every day
- 800 million people are connected to public figures on Facebook
- 650 million people use Facebook on mobile devices every day
- 500 million people use WhatsApp
- 200 million people use Facebook’s Messenger app
- 200 million people use Instagram
- 30 million small businesses use Facebook
- 1.5 million businesses use Facebook for paid advertising
We also learned that Americans spend 40 minutes each day on Facebook and that one of every five minutes a person spends on a mobile device is on Facebook.
So if it sometimes feels like everyone is on Facebook and Facebook is taking over your life … that’s because basically, it is.