As we start a new year, here is a look back at the world of social media. Keep these statistics in mind as you create your social media plan for 2017!
Social Media Demographic Statistics
1. 75% of male internet users are on Facebook as well as 83% of female internet users.
2. 32% of teenagers consider Instagram to be the most important social network.
3. Female internet users are more likely to use Instagram than men, at 38% vs. 26%.
4. 29% of internet users with college degrees use Twitter, compared to 20% with high school degrees or less.
5. 81% of millennials check Twitter at least once per day.
6. Most Instagram users are between 18-29 years old, about six-in-ten online adults.
7. 22% of the world’s total population uses Facebook.
8. LinkedIn boasts more than 450 million user profiles.
9. On any given day, Snapchat reaches 41% of 18 to 34-year-olds in the US.
10. YouTube overall, and even YouTube on mobile alone, reaches more 18-34 and 18-49 year-olds than any cable network in the U.S.
Social Media Usage Statistics
1. Facebook continues to be the most widely used social media platform, with 79% of American internet users. Based on total population, (not just internet users) 68% of U.S. adults (you know, your customers) use it. What are you waiting for? Start advertising on Facebook already!
2. Instagram receives the silver medal with 32% of users, Pinterest coming in a close third with 31%, and LinkedIn and Twitter at 29% and 24% respectively.
3. 76% of Facebook users visited the site daily during 2016, with over 1.6 billion daily visitors, compared to 70% of daily usage in 2015. (Check out 75 fascinating stats about Facebook here.)
4. The average LinkedIn user spends 17 minutes on the site per month.
5. 51% of Instagram users access the platform daily, and 35% say they look at the platform several times per day.
6. Almost 80% of time spent on social media platforms happens on mobile.
7. Katy Perry has the most worldwide twitter followers, at 94.65 million.
8. Over 400 million snaps are shared on Snapchat per day, and almost 9,000 photos are shared every second.
9. Just 10 thousand YouTube videos have generated more than 1 billion views.
10. More than half of all YouTube views are on mobile devices.
Social Media Business Statistics
1. Instagram earns $595 million in mobile ad revenue per year, a rapidly increasing number.
2. Despite news of layoffs and executives leaving the company, Twitter’s revenue is up 8% YOY
3. 59% of Americans with social media accounts think that customer service through social media has made it easier to get questions answered and issues resolved.
4. Over 50 million businesses use Facebook Business Pages.
5. 2 million business use to Facebook for advertising.
6. Facebook’s total revenue grew 56% in 2016, and advertising revenue grew 59%.
7. 93% of Pinterest users use the platform to plan or make purchases.
8. 39% of LinkedIn users pay for monthly premium accounts.
9. Pinterest drives 25% of all retail website referral traffic.
10. More than 56% of online adults use more than one social media platform.
Social Media Content Statistics
1. Tweets with images receive 18% more clicks than tweets without images.
2. 100 million food and 146 fashion boards exist on Pinterest.