The messaging-app era is here. Social networks are old-hat in a world where messaging apps like Facebook Messenger and LINE are increasingly mediating all sorts of digital interactions in our lives.
This post originally appeared in DIGITAL MEDIA INSIDER, a daily newsletter on the digital media industry produced by BI Intelligence, a premium research service from Business Insider. Learn more about DIGITAL MEDIA INSIDER or sign up today to receive the next issue in your inbox. Get started now »
In fact, messaging apps hit an important milestone at the end of March, according to estimates we prepared at BI intelligence, Business Insider’s subscription research service. For the first time, the top four messaging apps combined have just as many users as the top four social networks. (See chart on the right.)
- Put together, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, WeChat, and Viber have 2.125 billion monthly active users globally (users who accessed the apps at least once in a 30-day period). And these are all mobile users.
- That’s compared to the same number, 2.125 billion, users of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram combined. But these numbers also include millions of computer-only users!
Facebook’s VP of messaging products, David Marcus, announces new apps and features for Messengerscreenshot
A note on the chart above, and the data underlying it: while there will be audience overlap among these services (in other words, many WhatsApp users will also use Facebook Messenger, and so on) we believe there is actually less overlap among different messaging apps’ user bases than there are for social networks. In part that’s because apps like WeChat and Viber are geographically restricted. The former is mostly used in China, and the latter is strong in western markets, etc. In any case, the point is: messaging apps’ total audience advantage is likely greater than what this chart indicates.
Interested in getting in-depth analysis on this topic and others like it? Here are a few ways to access our exclusive research:
- Subscribe to an All-Access pass to BI Intelligence and gain immediate access to ALL of our expertly researched reports. As an added bonus, you’ll also gain access to all future reports and daily newsletters to ensure you stay ahead of the curve and benefit personally and professionally. >> Learn More Now
- Purchase & download comprehensive research reports from our research store. >> Purchase & Download Reports Now
- Try our INSIDER Newsletters risk-free. Every morning the BI Intelligence team will deliver you a daily newsletter covering everything you need to know in your digital industry. >> Start Now Risk-Free
Our BI Intelligence INSIDER Newsletters are currently read by thousands of business professionals first thing every morning. Fortune 1000 companies, startups, digital agencies, investment firms, and media conglomerates rely on these newsletters to keep atop the key trends shaping their digital landscape — whether it is mobile, digital media, e-commerce, payments, or the Internet of Things.
Our subscribers consider the INSIDER Newsletters a “daily must-read industry snapshot” and “the edge needed to succeed personally and professionally” — just to pick a few highlights from our recent customer survey.
With our full money-back guarantee, we make it easy to find out for yourself how valuable the daily insights are for your business and career. Click this link to learn all about the INSIDER Newsletters today.