- Installation error: configuration file is damaged
- Installation error: Lotus Notes software is not properly installed
- Installation error: Lotus Notes software is not installed on this computer
- Installation error: This setup on Windows 8 requires .NET Framework 3.5 enabled.
- First run error: Can’t read registry settings (Single user installation)
- First run error: Can’t read registry settings (Multiple users installation)
- Notes ini file not found at path: … (single user config)
- Cannot connect to Google Calendar service
- Cannot open ID file
- AweSync deleted all my contacts
- Cannot activate AweSync
- Returned code: 403. Reason: The user has exceeded their quota, and cannot currently perform this operation
- Notes error: Unable to write to database because database would exceed its disk quota.
- Any other error
- What are the system requirements for AweSync?
- Should I buy a new license if my Lotus username is changed?
- How is my Personal Privacy protected?
- How to change notes.ini path?
- Is it possible to use AweSync along with other synchronization tool?
- Some events are not synchronized. What’s wrong?
- Is it possible to make portable version of AweSync?
- I removed all entries from Google calendar, but events from Notes didn’t appear. What’s wrong?
- Changes in reminders are not sync’ed. Why?
- Some events were missed by sync. How can I force synchronization of these events?
- Synchronization speed is too slow. How to make it faster?
- How do I transfer Awesync to a new computer?
- Does AweSync Support Google 2-Step Verification?
- How do I create my Client ID to use OAuth in Awesync 5?
Contacting AweSync Support
- How to report problems to AweSync support
- How to send your data to development team
If you have any other questions not listed above, please Contact Us.
Installation error: Configuration file is damaged
Awesync installation didn’t start and throws this error. What happens and how to proceed?
This error means, that you have corrupted records in Windows Installer database. Most probably, you removed some files form Windows\Installer folder to free up the space. This probably is done by some third-party cleaning tools.
Please use Windows Installer cleanup tool from Microsoft, and clean installation records for Awesync.
Then remove Awesync’s installation folder (usually C:\Program Files\Awesync). Your config file will remain unchanged, it is stored in your User Profile, folder %APPDATA%\Awesync
Then download fresh copy of AweSync Installer, and install it.
Installation error: Lotus Notes software is not properly installed
Awesync installation is stopped with error “Lotus Notes software is not properly installed”. What’s the solution?
Reason of this error is that Lotus Notes COM objects are not registered in Windows. This usually means, that Lotus Notes was installed by simple files copying from another computer. Also, Lotus Notes versions 6.x don’t register COM objects even after regular correct installation. To fix this error, you should perform the following:
1. Run Command Prompt. (Start / Programs / Acsessories / Command Prompt). In Vista and Windows 7 this command should be executed as Administrator (right click – Run as Administrator)
2. In Command Prompt window change directory to your Lotus Notes installation:(change to your real installation path)
3. Execute the command
Message “DllRegisterServer … succeeded” should appear.
Installation error: Lotus Notes software is not installed on this computer
Awesync installation is stopped with error “Lotus Notes software is not installed on this computer”. What’s the solution?
Reason of this error is that Windows registry doesn’t contain Lotus Notes keys. This usually happens if Lotus Notes was installed by just files copying from another computer. Notes itself may work well in this case, but any other programs which use Lotus Notes COM may be unusable.
or (on x64 systems)
should contain string value
with correct path to your Lotus Notes installation.
Installation error: This setup on Windows 8 requires .NET Framework 3.5 enabled.
You should enable .NET Framework 3.5. In Control Panel, choose Programs and Features, choose Turn Windows features on or off, and then select the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 check box. Also you can type Windows Features in Search box, and select Settings below it, then choose Turn Windows features on or off
First run error: Can’t read registry settings (Single user installation)
The first run after installation of AweSync shows this error. What’s the solution?
There may be several reasons for this error:
This is the same error as above. In older versions it was not checked by installer. Version 126.96.36.199 and above will not allow installation of AweSync until this registry setting is correct.
First run error: Can’t read registry settings (Multiple users installation)
In first run after installation AweSync shows this error. What’s the solution?
This means that you have multi-user installation of Lotus Notes, but Registry settings doesn’t correspond to multi-user installation. Most probably, you’re running Lotus Notes using only one pre-configured shortcut. In this case you’re not able to run Lotus Notes by simple run of “C:\Lotus\Notes\Notes.exe” (for sure, change to your correct installation path if you are able to check this). This pre-configured shortcut should contain command line parameters like
To fix this, you should modify registry entry (string parameter)
where X.0 is major version of Lotus Notes, and set value of this parameter to “C:\Folder\your_notes.ini”
For example, if your Lotus Notes version is 8.5.1 then key should be
Notes ini file not found at path: … (single user config)
AweSync shows this error. What’s the solution?
Most possible this is the same reason as above – you have pre-configured shortcut which runs your Lotus Notes. You should change type of installation to “Multi-User” and provide correct path to your notes.ini.
1. Change the following registry value to 1
or (on x64 system)
2. Set this value to correct path to your notes.ini
where X.0 is major version of you Lotus Notes
For example, if your Lotus Notes version is 8.5.1 this key should be
Can not connect to Google Calendar service
I’m getting error “Cannot connect to Google Calendar service” while sync’ing or receiving the list of calendars from Google.
At the same time Google calendar works well in the browser. How to resolve this issue?
If you are using 2-step verification in Google, please read this topic.
Most probably, the reason is proxy configuration in your network. AweSync uses native Google API (DLLs) to connect to calendar services, which uses standard .NET API. So, the reason may be only in your connection and proxy settings.
Please open Control Panel / Internet Options / Connection, click button “LAN Settings”. If it is configured with options “Automatically detect settings” or “Use configuration script”, then this is the reason.
This Wikipedia article describes, that some PAC (Proxy Auto Configuration) files may be configured in the way which works well with browsers, but doesn’t work with .NET
To resolve the issue you should contact your IT administrators to fix PAC settings.
In case if this is not possible, ask them which exact proxy IP address and port should be used to connect to Google, then configure AweSync Manual Proxy Settings to use exact server IP & port.
Another possible issue can be if your proxy requires NTLM authorization. There is known bug in .NET Framework, that applications can’t work with such proxy.
If this is the case, go to Internet Explorer/Tools/Internet options/Advanced tab/Settings and disable the option Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections. Note that connection speed may be slower after this.
If proxy server in your network is Microsoft ISA server, you can use Firewall Client for ISA Server from Microsoft.
For another kinds of proxy, like Squid, you can install and configure free and open-source local proxy Cntlm, and then configure AweSync to use proxy server “localhost” and proxy port which you set in cntlm config.
If the problem exists, please download the test tool.
Save the tool and extract it to some folder on your system, then run Test.cmd. Press Get calendars button (click Accept in the browser window if needed), select the calendar you’re synching with and select the date with some events. Click on the event and then press Copy log to the Clipboard button and paste the result to your reply message.
Cannot open ID file
I’m getting error “Cannot open ID file”, but Lotus Notes works well with this ID file. How to fix this error?
First of all, try to set “Notes options” / “ID Settings” to “Use Current ID file”. In version 188.8.131.52 you need to click OK in Settings, then exit AweSync then run it again and check if this work. If it doesn’t, then read further.
There are the following possible reasons:
- ID file name contains national characters.
You can try to continue working with this ID file using Notes Options “Use Current ID file”. If this doesn’t work, please rename your ID file to make it containing only ASCII (Latin) characters in the file name.
- ID file NTFS permissions prohibit access for the user account which is used for running AweSync.
Usually this means that Lotus Notes is run under separate specific (or Administrators) user account, but AweSync is used with permissions of regular user. You can configure AweSync to run under the same permissions as Notes, or change permissions for your ID file.
- ID file is located on a network share.
This may cause error if you are using Lotus Notes ver. 6.5 on Vista or Windows 7. Please move ID file to a local folder.
- You are using Lotus Notes version 6.0.
AweSync supports Lotus Notes starting from version 6.5, as described in Release Notes. The only way is to upgrade Lotus Notes version.
If you need our assistance, please provide us with the following data, so that we can check your configuration and help you fix the problem:
AweSync full log. You can paste the string %AppData%\AweSync\Log into your Windows explorer and attach all files from this folder to your reply message.
1) Download the special database UtilsDb_1_8_6.nsf here
2) Run the file, so that the database gets added to your Notes Workspace, then go to Actions menu -> Show Lotus Notes config option.
3) Copy all the contents of the widow that appears after this and send it to us.
AweSync deleted all my contacts
After synchronization all my contacts were deleted. Can I restore the contacts back? What is the reason for this?
1. Yes, you can use the special tool that will restore deleted contacts to Google (you will be able to sync them to Notes after this).
- Open the Awesync folder in Program Files on your computer and run the file ContactRestorer.exe.
- Wait until the main window of the tool appears. Then you’ll be presented with the list of all deleted contacts.
- Manage them with the program options (note that the contacts already present in Google will be displayed without checkmarks in the boxes near them).
- The contacts will be restored to Google both to their groups and to All Contacts.
2. Here are the possible reasons why your contacts might have been deleted.
- The option “Remove all Google contacts:.” is selected during the first synchronization. Please note, that regardless of what contacts are present in Lotus Notes, all contacts from Google will be deleted prior to first synchronization. Even if there are no contacts in Notes at all, all your Google contacts will be deleted.
- The option “Remove all Lotus Notes contacts:.” is selected during the first synchronization. Please note, that regardless of what contacts are present in Google, all contacts from Lotus Notes will be deleted prior to first synchronization. Even if there are no contacts in Google at all, all your Notes contacts will be deleted.
- If Two-way synchronization mode is selected, and your contacts were synced previously with Awesync, removing some contacts from Notes or Google will result in deletion of the same contacts from the other side. So, for instance, if you remove all contacts from one side, you can loose ALL your contacts, so be careful!
Note. Just in case, before synchronizing contacts it is recommended to make a copy of your local Lotus Notes address book, as well as export your Google contacts to a local file. We all know that our contacts are very important, so backup won’t hurt.
Cannot activate AweSync
I enter the product key in Activation Settings, but Activate button is greyed out, or when I hit Activate button, nothing happens. How can I resolve the issue and get AweSync activated?
If Activate button is greyed out, it means either that your key is not correct (please check if you typed 0 instead of O, for instance), or you left some extra spaces in the field when copying/pasting the key.
If you hit Activate button and nothing happens, most possible reason is that AweSync cannot connect to the activation web site. But it’s not a problem. If the program cannot connect to our activation server, the warning message will be displayed: click OK button to open a browser window. Copy the string of symbols from that window and copy/paste it into License Key field. Press License button and then press Activate button. If you cannot follow the instructions above due to some reasons (for instance, security rules in your network), you can still easily activate Awesync manually, without connecting to our server. Please perform the steps below:
- Open the Activation screen, put the product key in, and click Activate button.
- Send your full log files to email@example.com. To see log file, paste the string %AppData%\AweSync\Log into your Windows Explorer and press Enter.
We’ll provide you with further instructions via e-mail shortly.
Returned code: 403. Reason: The user has exceeded their quota, and cannot currently perform this operation
This error appears when synchronizing events, and my Lotus Notes and Google calendars do not match. What can I do to eliminate the error?
This error is generated on Google side, and it means that their service no longer can accept modifications to calendar data via Google API, because the number of modifications to the calendar has exceeded the quota. Unfortunately, there is not so much public information available about these quotas, but there are few reasons, why they might be exceeded:
- In some cases quota is exceeded when synchronizing the events, which have too many participants (dozens or hundreds), especially if these are recurring events with exceptions.
- You have too many events, and especially too many exceptions (modifications) to the original schedule in your recurring events.
In the first case it is recommended to disable synchronization of Invitees/Guests in AweSync Calendar Privacy settings.
For the second case, the release 4.9.0 has enhanced recurring exceptions processing, which performs less transactions with Google. Also, if you’re still experiencing the problem, it’s recommended to specify some reasonable time-frame in AweSync Calendar settings – like 30 days before and 30 days after, or even less.
In both cases you need to wipe out and re-create your Google Calendar, if you have all needed events in Lotus Notes. To do this, please perform the steps below:
- Disable automatic sync in AweSync if it’s enabled, and make sure the sync is set from Lotus to Google one-way (again, this can be done if you have all needed events in Lotus Notes).
- Open your Google calendar settings in Web browser, and click Delete next to the name of the calendar, with which you were synchronizing. If it’s a primary one, the events in it will be removed, if it’s a secondary one, the calendar will be completely erased. If it was a secondary calendar, you need to create a new one.
- Delete AweSync index from tray icon menu Debug->Remove Calendar Index, but do not sync yet!
- Open AweSync settings and click Retrieve to get your Google calendar lists, and make sure the right one is selected for synchronization and as default.
- Open AweSync Calendar settings and make necessary adjustments to time-frames, or invitees synchronization as mentioned above.
- Save the settings and run the full sync.
If it runs successfully, you can extend the time-frame to bigger values (like extend to another 30 days before and after) on a daily basis, finally getting to 0 – 0 (i.e. unlimited) in few days.
If the problem still persists, please send us full log as described here.
Notes error: Unable to write to database because database would exceed its disk quota
This error appears when synchronizing events, and my Lotus Notes and Google calendars do not match. What is the reason for this error?
Before starting synchronization, AweSync checks if its index can be saved in the database (to not loose it after sync session). The message you receive means that this can’t be done due to a database size quota which was set on your mail file to specify the maximum size a database can attain. When a database exceeds its quota, the following message appears in the Miscellaneous Events view of the log file (LOG.NSF); “Unable to write to database – database would exceed its disk quota.”
When quota is set on user mail file by default, when a mail file exceeds its quota, the Router continues to deliver mail to it, and users can update existing mail views. This ensures that users can continue to receive and read all mail sent to them. However, other applications cannot add documents to the database.
You need to either contact your administrators to enlarge your database quota, or clean up some old documents from the database to ensure there is free space in it, which can be reclaimed for new documents. Usually the index doesn’t require much space, since it contains only text information about events. So you may need to have about 1 Mb, or even less, free space to store it.
Any other error
I have other error not specified here. What can I do myself to resolve the problem?
Most probable reasons of any unknown errors are:
- Wrong registration of Lotus Notes COM components. Please follow instruction here.
- Wrong or corrupted installation of Lotus Notes. Please note, that if you have any modern versions of Windows, like Windows Vista or Windows 7, then only Multi-User installation of Lotus Notes (the later version the better) will work well. If possible, try to reinstall Lotus Notes. Please read compatibility notes. We have tested all major versions of Lotus Notes from 6.5 to 8.5 on Windows versions from Windows XP SP3 to Windows 7 Corporate Edition. If you have problems with Lotus Notes COM, most probable reason is wrong installation of Lotus Notes.
- Outdated version of Microsoft .NET framework. Please update .NET framework with all updates from Microsoft. Windows Update is good place for this.
- Your Lotus Notes mail database is corrupted. If this is your local database, make new copy of it using Lotus Notes (not by copying the file in Windows Explorer or any file manager). This will fix almost errors in NSF structure. If your database is placed on Domino server, then you (or your Domino administrators) can run this command in Domino server console: “load compact -c -D mail\yourmailfile.nsf”.
What are the system requirements for AweSync?
AweSync specific requirements are guided by the platform it’s built on – Microsoft .NET Framework and uses IBM Lotus Notes COM interface.
Specific requirements for version of .NET Framework are inspired by Google API which is used to connect to Calendar, Tasks and Contacts.
As you’re going to sync Lotus Notes calendar with Google, you should have already installed Lotus Notes, and your system should fit it’s requirements (Lotus Notes 6.5 or later required). However, Lotus Notes has compatibility restrictions, which are described here.
Should I buy a new license if my Lotus username changes?
No, you should not buy a new license, for example if there is some IT re-organization, or if you simply find another job. You can transfer your license for free, if your username is changed for some reason.
Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your inquiry, and we’ll inactivate your product license key, allowing you to activate it again with the new username. For sure, a change should be reasonable, i.e. we should see that this is a transfer of your activation to a different username, and not a transfer of license to another person.
How is my Personal Privacy protected?
Does the application store passwords on the local machine, or on your servers? Do you store the content of calendar items, or any other item, since the login information the application needs can retrieve emails or documents from either Google or Lotus?
AweSync doesn’t connect to our server, except for few cases mentioned below.
AweSync version 184.108.40.206 and above connects to this website to check if new versions are available, but it doesn’t send any personalized information during this process. You can also disable software update check in settings.
Starting from version 220.127.116.11 when it will be possible to purchase AweSync, it will also connect to this web site for license key activation. The activation is based on the activation code, which is an irreversible hash of your Lotus Notes user name (it makes it possible to activate several copies of the software for the same Lotus Notes username from different locations). Moreover, this hash is transmitted over the SSL connection. So, activation of AweSync over the Internet does not expose any personal information.
During synchronization process AweSync connects only to your Google calendar and your Lotus Notes database. Passwords are stored in the encrypted form in your local config file in %APPDATA%\AweSync. Potentially, if hackers will be able to get this config file, they will be able to reverse AweSync code and decrypt your passwords, but this statement is true for any other cached passwords in any system. So you got to make sure there is no unauthorized access to your computer.
Moreover, you may leave Lotus password blank in AweSync settings, and Lotus Notes will ask you for it each time when you start the synchronization.
No personal data is sent or stored anywhere during the synchronization process, except for your Google calendar and Lotus Notes database, and the application log and index, which are stored on your local computer.
How to change notes.ini path?
I have notes.ini on network folder and not able to place it to Lotus Notes Folder. How can I setup AweSync to read notes.ini from that place?
Follow instructions described here: Notes ini file not found at path: … (single user config)
Is it possible to use AweSync along with other synchronization tool?
I’d like to use another Google-Lotus synchronization tool along with AweSync. Is this possible and what can be wrong in this case?
No, we don’t recommend this, because each tool uses it’s own methods to determine correspondence between events on each side.
As the result, you may get all events duplicated or damaged.
Some events are not synchronized. What’s wrong?
Some events are not sync’d. What is the reason?
We’ve never seen that event from Google was not sync’ed to Lotus Notes. So, I guess you mean that event from LN didn’t appear in Google. Otherwise, please create an issue.
There are three possible reasons why Lotus Notes event may be missed in sync:
1. Google doesn’t accept your event, if it contains some improper data. Most frequently this is related to emails of meeting participants. To ensure that this is the reason, please try to disable invitees synchronization in Privacy Options in AweSync Settings, re-save that particular meeting in Notes and run sync again.
2. Lotus Notes view can’t be properly updated by AweSync. Try to open Calendar view in Lotus Notes and press Shift-F9 on keyboard. View will be rebuilt. Then force AweSync to process all documents by running Sync ALL Events command.
3. Event was skipped by AweSync because it contains incorrect data in Lotus Notes. You can see skipped events by “View Changed Documents” button at the bottom of expanded AweSync’ main window. If you’re sure that meeting data is correct, but AweSync doesn’t process it properly, please export this meeting according these instructions and attach to the issue along with full log.
Is it possible to make portable version of AweSync?
Is this possible to run AweSync from USB stick and store all settings there?
To use it, you should do the following:
1. Install regular version to any preferred location (on USB stick to folder U:\Awesync\, for example) and then 2. Configure Awesync using Wizard 3. Exit Awesync 4. Move your configuration file from %APPDATA%\Awesync\settings.cfg to the same folder where binaries are installed. (U:\Awesync\settings.cfg)
After next run it will use settings from USB, and put all logs to the .\Logs subfolder on USB (U:\Awesync\Logs\ and U:\Awesync\Stats)
Installation of newer version will not overwrite your settings.
Also you can download this archive Awesync.zip and extract to desired location.
Please note, that archive contains empty configuration file. If you’re updating your existing portable installation from this zip archive, don’t overwrite the file settings.cfg, or keep it previously in a safe place.
I removed all entries from Google calendar, but events from Notes didn’t appear. What’s wrong?
I removed all entries from Google calendar, and set the option in settings “Re-Sync with another calendar” but nothing appeared in Google. What’s wrong and how to resolve this issue?
This option works only if you were synchronized with one of your Google calendars, but then completely removed it. Your default Google calendar (which usually have your name) can’t be completely removed. If you cleared all events from (or re-created) your default personal Google calendar, this option will not work.
In this case you should remove synchronization index using tray (notification) menu command “Debug \ Remove Index”, and then perform “Sync ALL Events” – another command from tray menu.
Changes in reminders are not sync’ed. What’s wrong?
I changed text in Google reminder, but after sync it remains unchanged in Notes. Is this a bug? How to resolve this?
No, this ia not bug, this is feature of Google API. If you modified only reminder, this event is not marked in Google as changed, hence, it is not send to “updates list”, and AweSync can’t determine if this event was changed.
To push changes to Notes, you can edit any other part of event (body, subject, etc). In this case Google will mark event as modified.
Another option is to perform “Full sync” using tray menu command “Sync ALL Events”. It performs synchronization of all events (not only events modified since last sync session). But for sure, it can take quite longer time.
Some events were missed by sync. How can I force synchronization of these events?
How AweSync selects events which should be sync’ed? How to force it to sync all events from /amy calendar?
AweSync selects only events updated since last sync session. Versions earlier than 2.0 may miss events, which were modified by user during execution of previous sync session.
To force AweSync to sync all events (which dates are within Timeframe defined in Options), you may use command “Sync ALL Events” from menu on tray (notification) AweSync’s icon.
Synchronization speed is too slow. How to make it faster?
The speed is too slow, especially a first run. Also, the log shows that the index contains much more items than I actually have in Lotus or Google calendars.
A first sync after changing important settings always performs the full sync – the same action that is performed by Sync ALL Events command. This is done to avoid missing of events. So, a first session will sync a lot of documents. Subsequent sync sessions (if you don’t change settings) will sync only documents updated since the previous session, so, it will be much faster.
Index is a special list of correspondences between your Lotus Notes calendar events and Google events. It’s used to determin if an event should be sync’ed, or was already sync’ed, etc. Index also stores events which were deleted from one of calendars, to not push deleted documents again (for sure, if you haven’t configured this in other way).
The most time-consuming process is working with Lotus Notes database if it’s placed on Domino server. So, if you have very large amount of LN events to be sync’ed, the best way is to create a local replica of the database, perform a full synchronization with 0 to 0 timeframe (unlimited), and then replicate the changes back to Domino server. After this initial sync and replication, you can switch Awesync settings back to work with Domino server.
Another condition influencing synchronization speed is your Internet connection to Google. If it’s too slow, try to disable secure connection (SSL/https), if it’s suitable for you.
How do I transfer AweSync to a new computer?
What steps should be done to transfer my AweSync installation to another computer? How do I preserve my settings during the transfer?
To transfer AweSync to a new computer, please download and install the latest version of AweSync from our site. Then, just activate AweSync with your existing activation key. You can find the key under your account on AweSync website.
If you wish to preserve your settings, you can save the file settings.cfg (usually stored in %AppData%\AweSync folder) from your old computer and then place it to the same folder on your new computer.
Does AweSync Support Google 2-Step Verification?
Yes. If you have 2-Step verification enabled in Google, please follow the instructions below.
1. After your mobile phone was tied to your Google account, you should create a special password for AweSync on the page of Google 2-Step verification settings. Then copy the password, open Awesync Settings/General/Google account tab and paste the password into the Password field. Press Check credentials button to make sure the password is copied correctly.
2. Starting from AweSync 4.25.0 release the following new setting appeared to support Google 2-Step verification for Tasks synchronization. Open AweSync Settings/Tasks/Google tab and enter your original Google password. Press Retrieve Tasks Groups button and enter Google verification code which should be sent to you via SMS.
Now AweSync should work with 2-Step verification without any problems.
How do I create my Client ID to use OAuth in Awesync 5?
You can create your own Client ID as follows:
1. Go to https://cloud.google.com/console/project
2. Click Create Project.
3. Set Project Name to something like “AweSync”.
4. Click Create.
5. Click on Use Google APIs and select Google Apps APIs. Since Tasks API is not listed there, you can find its location via search field on this page.
6. Enable the Calendar API, Contacts API, Drive API and Tasks API by clicking on it and pressing Enable button. You can return by pressing on the button with arrow near Enable.
7. On the left side, click Credentials.
8. Click on Create credentials and select OAuth Client ID.
9. Click on Configure consent screen and enter something like Awesync in the field Product name shown to users. Click on Save.
10. Select Other as Application type and click Create. You’ll be presented with Client ID and client secret. Copy them and paste somewhere to save. Click OK.
11. Open AweSync Settings -> General -> Google Account, uncheck OAuth Settings -> Use default and paste “Client ID” and “Client secret” values to the corresponding fields.
12. Click “Check Credentials” button to verify if connection to Google is established. A browser window opens where you’ll need to allow access to your Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Notebook.