If you have tried using your camera from an application on Windows 8 or Windows 10 you might get an error message that your camera is being used by another application. In this situation you will learn what exactly the root cause of this error is and what steps you need to take to fix it in the shortest time possible.
The error message that the camera is being used by another applications in Windows 8 or Windows 10 can be the cause of several reasons, one of which is that you closed your Windows 8 or Windows 10 operating system without closing the application you used the camera on. In this case the next time you will try using the camera you might get this error because it is still running in the background registries of the Windows 8 or Windows 10.
Tutorial on how to fix the error message “camera being used by another app” in Windows 8, Windows 10:
- Open the Windows 8 or Windows 10 device.
- Left click or tap on the link posted below in order to download the Windows 8, Windows 10 troubleshooter app. Download here troubleshooter app.
- Left click or tap on the “Save File” feature.
- Left click on the “OK” button.
- Now it will take you to a window where you will need to place the directory in which you want to download this application.
- After you chose the directory left click or tap on the “Save” button.
- After the application is downloaded go to the location where you saved it and double click (left click) on the executable file you have there.
- Let the application run.
- After the troubleshoot applications has finished you will need to reboot your Windows 8 or Windows 10 device.
- Try again your camera and see if you still have the same issue.
For various PC problems, we recommend to use this tool.
- Download ReimagePlus (100% safe download and endorsed by us).
- Click “Start Scan” to find Windows issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Click “Repair All” to fix all issues.
- Move the mouse pointer over to the upper side of the screen.
- After the Charms bar has opened you will need to left click on the “Search” feature.
- In the search box you have there you need to write “firewall”.
- After the search is finished left click or tap on the “Windows Firewall” icon.
- Left click or tap on the “Turn Windows Firewall on or off” feature.
- If you are asked to enter an administrator account do so.
- Left click or tap on the “Turn Windows firewall off(not recommended )” feature.
- Left click or tap on the “OK” button.
- Try and see if you still have the “camera being used by another app” issue.
- If you do not then it means that your firewall was blocking your access to the camera in that specific application you were using.
- Check on Windows Store for an update on that specific application.
- If there is a latest update for the Windows 8 or Windows 10 operating system then you will need to update the application and try using your camera again.
- If the methods above did not work for you then you will need to right click on the app you are trying to use the camera from.
- Left click or tap on the “Uninstall” feature.
- Left click again on the “Uninstall” button you have in the next window.
- Left click or tap on the “Store” icon after the uninstall process is finished.
- Left click or tap on the “Accounts” feature.
- Left click or tap on “My apps”.
- Left click or tap on the app you uninstalled and left click on the “Install” button.
- Try and see if your camera is working properly.
We recommend this tool to update all your drivers automatically
Downloading drivers manually can be a long and tedious process. Outdated drivers can often cause crashes, file loss and even permanent damage to your computer. DriverUpdater quickly and automatically downloads all the drivers that you need: