The Windows Error 0x80070643 is one of the many errors you may encounter while using Windows OS. It is a general error that can appear on your computer screen during the automatic update of Windows update, during installation of Security Essentials
or installation of a Windows program.
There are various reasons (causes) why you may encounter error 0x800070643. Some of the main reasons are;
- Failure to install latest Windows updates, which makes installation of the most recent update(s) impossible.
- Damaged or corrupt system files.
- When Windows Update feature is unable to access some of your data it requires to authenticate the installation.
- Virus/Malware infection.
- Corrupt .Net Framework.
- Corrupt or disabled Microsoft Source Engine (Ose.exe).
- Installed third-party antivirus/malware program.
- Errors in computer system registry.
Although Error Code 0x80070643 does not hinder you from using your computer, the mere fact that your computer cannot install an update in itself should be a cause for concern. It is, therefore, very necessary that you make all attempts to fix the 0x80070643 error.
Table of Contents
How to Fix Error Code 0x80070643
There is really no single solution that fixes error 0x80070643. A solution that works depends on a particular cause. Below are just some of the solutions that work to fix the error.
Solution 1: Fix Virus/Malware Infection
Run a full scan of the installed antivirus/malware program. You may be surprised to find that the error is simply caused by a virus/malware in your computer system.
Try to install an update if the error appeared when installing the same. The error should be fixed if the error does not occur again.
Solution 2: Uninstall Antivirus/Malware Program
It is possible for error 0x80070643 to occur just because of the installed antivirus/malware program. The error can easily arise when you have two different third-party antivirus/malware programs installed. You also need to consider disabling the only antivirus/malware program installed to see whether doing so allows smooth installation of updates.
Do the following to uninstall the program
- Navigate to the Control Panel.
- Click on Programs and Features.
- Right-click on the antivirus/malware program and select Uninstall.
- Allow the un-installation process to complete before installing the update again to see if the 0x80070643 error is fixed.
Solution 3: Repair Damaged System Files
Regular installation and un-installation of programs on/from your computer corrupt some system files, which can cause error 0x80070643. Repair such files, if any, to fix the error.
- Click “Start Menu”.
- Navigate to “All Programs” to locate “Accessories”.
- Locate and right-click on “Command Prompt”.
- Select “Run as administrator”.
- Type “sfc/scannow” in the prompt before pressing ENTER.
Solution 4: Restart (OSE) Service
You can encounter error code 0x80070643 simply because the Office Source Engine (OSE) service is disabled. Note that this solution will work if the error occurs during installation of OSE-related updates.
- Press on the combination of Win + R keys to open up the “Run” box.
- Type “services.msc” in the box and hit ENTER.
- Locate the OSE.
- Double click to open the OSE and check to ascertain its startup status. Change the status to automatic in case it is disabled.
- Revert to whatever you were doing (installing OSE-related updates) and check if this helps to to get rid of error 0x80070643
Solution 5: Update Windows Defender
This solution will fix the error very quickly in case it is related to the Windows Update feature (Defender).
- Connect your computer to the Internet.
- Open “Start Menu”.
- Click “Settings”.
- Goto “Update & Security”.
- Now, Click “Windows Defender” in the left pane.
- Look in the right pane and scroll down to locate “Version info”.
- Next, “Open Windows Defender” to open up the app.
- Finally Click on “Update” to update the app.
Solution 6: Update/Repair .Net Framework
The .Net Framework is not only critical in allowing programs to run on your computer. It also plays an important role during installation of programs and updates. An outdated or damaged .Net Framework will easily cause error 0x80070643.
Note that it is possible to find the .NET Framework missing, in which case you need to download and install it. Revert to whatever you were doing before the error occurred to see if it is fixed.
One of these solutions should work for you to fix error 0x80070643. You will need to consider restoring your computer back to an earlier date when it used to perform installations without any errors. It is only in exceptional circumstances that you will need to perform a fresh installation of the OS, in which case you need to backup all your important files.