Top Page > “BRAVIA” TV Features > Skype Ready
Enjoy free Skype™-to-Skype voice and video calls to friends and family anywhere in the world with a compatible TV webcam and an Internet connection.
Skype allows you to make free video and voice calls from the comfort of your living room. Enjoy widescreen video calls by connecting the optional Camera and Microphone Unit CMU-BR100. Note that a stable Internet connection is also required.
You can use your existing Skype account or create a new one on your TV. Select [Skype] in the [Applications] menu, connect your TV camera, log in and start enjoying widescreen video calls from your living room.
If you want to call a friend who is not on Skype, you could make great savings by calling them on their landline or mobile using Skype.
- To use this feature, the TV has to be connected to the Internet.
- For more information on Skype, please visit http://www.Skype.com/
- No emergency calls. Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can’t be used for emergency calling.
- Skype may not be available while some other applications are being used.
- Use of a wireless network connection may cause audio/image degradation.
- Connect the optional Camera and Microphone Unit directly to the TV’s USB port. Do not connect it via a USB hub.
- Audio and video calls are free to other people on Skype. For other Skype services such as low cost calls to mobile phones and landlines, Skype Credit or a subscription is required.
- Skype is a trade mark of Skype Limited or its related companies. This product / application has not been checked, verified, certified or otherwise approved or endorsed by Skype Limited, Skype Communications S.a.r.l. or any of their related companies.
- This product includes SkypeKit Version 3. Copyright 2003-2010, Skype Limited. Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the “S” symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited.
- The sound quality of the microphone may deteriorate in a noisy environment.
How to use Skype on your TV
Connecting the optional Camera and Microphone Unit CMU-BR100
Attach the camera to the top (or rear) of the TV, then connect the USB cable to the TV’s USB port.
- The Camera and Microphone Unit captures your voice.
Creating your Skype account (required only if you have no account yet)
Press HOME, then select → [Skype].
Follow the on-screen instructions to create your account.
About the status icons in the Home Menu
When [Skype] in [Applications] of the Home Menu is selected, a status icon appears next to [Skype], indicating the status of your Skype account. Each status icon indicates as follows: : Auto Sign in error, : Online, : Away, : Do Not Disturb, : Invisible
Making a call
Voice and video calls can be initiated in a couple of different ways.
Receiving a call
You can receive a call even while watching TV or using other applications.
When the following screen notifies you of an incoming call, select [Video Call] or [Voice Call] to answer.
- While using another application, an incoming call notification is displayed using the full screen.
Use the menu bar at the bottom of the screen for call options.