A new beta release, Skype for Linux 5.1, was announced a few hours ago.
There are many new features and improvements coming with Skype for Linux Beta 5.1. However, only following changes are mentioned in the announcement:
- Updated to Electron 1.6.2
- Improved installer scripts that register the Skype update repository for you
- Many smaller improvements and bugfixes
How to Install Skype 5.1 in Ubuntu / Linux Mint:
Skype website offers DEB packages for download at the link below:
Download Skype for Linux
You can also add the official Skype repository to install and receive updates via Software Updater utility, by following the steps below:
1. Open terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T or searching for “terminal” from the Dash. When it opens, run command:
Type in your password when it prompts and hit Enter. The command will check if the ‘apt-transport-https’ package is installed.
2. Run command to install the GPG key:
3. Add Skype repository to your system:
After adding the repository, you can install Skype for Linux either via Synaptic Package Manager or by running command:
And future updates will be available in Software Updater along with other system updates.
How to Uninstall:
To remove the Skype repository, go to System Settings -> Software & Updates -> Other Software tab.