While Windows 10 is one of the most loved operating systems today, there are some issues still bothering the users. The internal Skype Microphone
issue is one of such common issues faced by Windows 10 users.
The microphone of your Windows 10 PC can stop working due to many different reasons, and some of the very commonly reported reasons are incorrect settings, broken or obsolete drivers or some hardware issues. If your built-in Microphone or Skype Audio is not working in Windows 10/8/7, then this post shows how to fix the Mic.
Skype Audio or Microphone not working
1] Check if Microphone is ON
If your microphone is not working after upgrading to Windows 10, probably it is turned OFF.
- Go to Windows Settings by using shortcut Win+I and click on Privacy tab.
- Select Microphone from the left panel and turn it ON.
- You can also choose the apps you want to use your Microphone.
2] Broken or outdated driver
This is one of the most common reasons of any malfunctioning in a PC. Your Microphone won’t work properly if the drivers are broken or outdated. So you need to install or update your device driver.
- Run Device Manager and go to “Sound, video and game controllers”.
- Click on it and select “Realtek High Definition Audio” (In my case)
- Double click and you will get a new pop-up window with program properties and driver settings.
- Go to the Driver tab and click on Update Driver.
3] Adjust the Microphone Setting
- Go to the audio icon in your taskbar, right-click and select Recording devices.
- Select microphone and double tap to open the properties.
- Here you can adjust the levels and adjustments like Noise Cancellation, DC Offset Cancellation, Echo Cancellation and more.
- Disabling all the sound effects also fixes the Microphone issues sometimes.
- Under the Advanced tab, disable the check box Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.
4] Restart Windows Audio Service
Some minor issues in your Windows Audio Service can also be the reason of microphone bugs and restarting it is the best possible fix. Follow the steps below to restart your Windows Audio Service.
- Open Run command and type services.msc.
- This will open the entire list of Windows Services on your PC.
Select Windows Audio, right-click and select Restart.
Skype Microphone problems are usually device oriented. Which means, one solution might not work for all. Try the fixes mentioned above and see if they help you, but if your microphone is still not working with Skype, try restarting the Skype app.This post has some additional tips to fix Skype audio and video problems.