Skype 2015 CU1 Update Failure KB3061059

We recently were upgrading a Skype 2015 Edge server to CU1 and the upgrade failed with a 1603 error L

We checked the Skype_patchinstallerlog and could see the below error

“[19/08/2015 21:31:21] Embedded patch Server.msp is referred by KB #3061059

[19/08/2015 21:31:21] Embedded patch Server.msp can be researched at URL

[19/08/2015 21:31:21] Embedded patch description: Update for Skype for Business Server 2015

[19/08/2015 21:31:24] Beginning installation of selected binaries…

[19/08/2015 21:31:24] Executing command: msiexec.exe /update “C:\CU1\Server.msp” /passive /norestart /l*vx “C:\CU1\Server.msp-Servername-[2015-08-19][21-31-24]_log.txt”

[19/08/2015 21:31:32] ERROR 1603: Server.msp had errors installing.

[19/08/2015 21:31:37] ERROR: Skype ServerUpdateInstaller failed to successfully install all patches”

The next step was to have a look at the Server.msp log (C:\CU1\Server.msp-Servername-[2015-08-19][21-31-24]_log.txt ) referenced in the Skype_patchinstallerlog.

Server.MSP Log below

Error 29024. Error 0x80004005 (Unspecified error) occurred while executing command ‘C:\Windows\system32\\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe’. For more details, check log file ‘C:\Users\RISUAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\LCSSetup_Commands.log’.

“MSI (s) (6C!34) [21:31:30:915]: Product: Skype for Business Server 2015, Edge Server — Error 29024. Error 0x80004005 (Unspecified error) occurred while executing command ‘C:\Windows\system32\\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe’. For more details, check log file ‘C:\Users\RISUAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\LCSSetup_Commands.log’.

MSI (s) (6C!34) [21:31:30:915]: Closing MSIHANDLE (1214) of type 790531 for thread 4404

MSI (s) (6C:F0) [21:31:30:915]: Closing MSIHANDLE (1213) of type 790536 for thread 3340

CustomAction CA_InstallDBonPatchInstall returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)”

In the server.msp log we could see that the failing action was a PowerShell command that was failing (see below) , to see what the powershell command that was failing was , we had to check another log J. The log we checked next was ‘C:\Users\RISUAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\LCSSetup_Commands.log’

In the LCCSetup_Commands.log , we were able to find the issue , the reason the update was failing was when the Install-CSDatabase command was ran to upgrade the Lync DB’s it was getting the below error:

An error occurred: “Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Deployment.DeploymentException” “Install-CsDatabase was unable to find suitable drives for storing the database files. This is often due to insufficient disk space; typically you should have at least 32 GB of free space before attempting to create databases. However, there are other possible reasons why this command could have failed. For more information, see”

The server did have 8GB free, but we assigned 30GB to the drive that held the Lync Databases and re-ran the CU.

CU1 then installed successfully with no issues J

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *