Skype 5.0 for Linux has been announced a few hours ago. It’s now in the beta stage.
What’s New in Skype 5.0 for Linux:
- Calls to mobiles and landlines with Skype credit
- one-to-one VIDEO CALLS support from Linux to Skype for Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac.
- View shared screens from other Skype desktop clients
- Unity launcher now shows the number of unread conversations
- online contacts in contact list now include Away and Do Not Disturb statuses.
How to Install Skype 5.0 for Linux in Ubuntu / Linux Mint:
The new release can be installed from the Skype apt repository, simply open terminal from Unity Dash, App Launcher, or via Ctrl+Alt+T shortcut key and run following commands one by one:
1. Make sure you have ‘apt-transport-https’ installed by running command:
Type in your password (no visual feedback) when it prompts and hit Enter.
2. Download and install Skype GPG key via command:
3. Add Skype apt repository to your system via command:
4. Finally, install Skype for Linux either via Synaptic Package Manager or by running following commands in terminal:
How to Remove:
For any reason you can remove Skype for Linux either via Synaptic Package Manager or by running the command:
And you can remove the Skype repository via Software & Updates -> Other Software.