Skype, one of the most used VOIP client software for communication inside organizations. One problem with this software is that: by default you can’t remove chat history for a specific contact. To delete chat history of a particular user/contact in your Skype, you have to use a DB browser software( sqlitebrowser ) to read the local DB files and make the changes. Follow the steps below to remove any history for a specific user from your system.
Take backup of main.db file before implementing anything from these steps.
- Download the DB Browser( SQLite Browser ). Its free and open source. You can get it from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/
- Signout and Quit your Skype.
- Go to the directory below and take a backup of the file main.db file. Just copy the directory itself or the file and keep it somewhere else for safety.
Replace ‘skype_username’ with your skype user name in the above path.
- Extract and run the sqlitebrowser software and open the Skype DB file(main.db) located here: C:Users’windows_username’AppDataRoamingSkype’skype_username’main.db Replace ‘skype_username’ with your skype user name in the above path.
- — Click on the browse data tab. Here you can have all the tables that are being used to store history data in Skype. — Search the records by the particular user and delete those records. Mainly the chat related records reside inside ‘Chats’, ‘Messages. table. — Go to Browse data tab -> select table Messages -> click on find icon -> select author -> contains -> skype profile name of user you are searching for -> click on one of the last results in the list and you will see the row. — Select the records and click on ‘Delete Record’ button.
- At last don’t forget to click on the save changes icon.
[ Download sqlitebrowser: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/ ]
- search across all messages and contacts
- browse chat history and export as HTML, see chat statistics
- import contacts from a CSV file to your Skype contacts
- view any database table and and export their data
- change, add or delete data in any table
- execute direct SQL queries