Can’t sign in to Skype for Business

After migrating our organization from Lync 2010 on-premises to Skype for Business Online, I had one user who couldn’t log in no matter what I tried. She had Skype enabled in her msols license, her account was enabled, everything appeared to have synced ok, and she could log into The error message said “The user name, password, or domain appears to be incorrect. Ensure that you entered them correctly. If the problem continues, please contact your support team.”

Here are a few of the steps I attempted to fix the problem:

>I verified that the username, password, and domain was correct. >I tried hardcoding the server names to >I verified her UserPrincipalName and Skype user name in the Office 365 Admin Center. >I reset her password and performed a manual sync from the on-premises AD. >I wiped all of the locally cached Skype data from her Windows user profile and from the registry. >I uninstalled Lync and Office 2010 and installed Office 365 from the portal.

There was one fact that kept nagging at me and I was sure it had to be related: She had changed her name a few months before the migration to SfB. Her displayname, email address, and username had all been changed to match, and we usually try to avoid changing usernames just for this reason.

Running “Get-CsOnlineUser -Identity | fl” showed something very interesting.

Her former last name was still showing up in these SIP address fields! When her name was changed, someone changed her SamAccountName, UserPrincipalName, PrimarySMTPAddress, and even her SIP address as it appeared in our on-premises Exchange server, but they hadn’t changed her SIP address in the Lync 2010 console. When a username absolutely has to be changed, the established procedure is to ignore the SIP address in the Exchange Management Console, to remove the user from the Lync server and then re-add her from the directory. The SIP address in Exchange is automatically updated by the Lync server, but changing it in the EMC doesn’t automatically change it in Lync.

To fix this, I opened her account in Active Directory Users and Computers (with advanced features turned on) and accessed the Attribute Editor tab. I fixed the SIP address in these three attributes:

>msExchShadowProxyAddresses >msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress >proxyAddresses

After syncing these changes to Office 365 and waiting a little while, the user was finally able to log into Skype.

Another villain vanquished!

(Thanks to a helpful technician at Microsoft for the Get-CSOnlineUser tip.)

Two updates:

First, if you still have a Lync server on-premises, you can run this cmdlet to accomplish the same thing:

Set-CsUser -Identity -SipAddress

That’s much easier than editing AD attributes.

Second, you might need to remove the user’s Skype license in the Office 365 Admin Center and then re-add it before the address fields will update.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *