Outlook Contact Transfer (OCT) gives you better control than most other sync software. It lets you decide which side (phone or PC) has more reliable data and start the sync from there. This software package consists of 2 components: one component running on your Android downloaded from Google Play and one component running on your PC downloaded from here. There are 2 versions
of this software: the trial version with limited capabilities and the paid version with full functionalities. The user interface, running on Windows, is simple and requires no configuration.
If you have already installed the drivers for your Android device on your PC, installing this software package is a breeze. Here are the features:
- Support all languages encoded in Unicode (for the names and addresses).
- Preserve more Outlook data fields than most other sync software. E.g. The IM addresses, 6 phone numbers, 3 email addresses, and Notes fields for each contact are preserved. See details below.
- Works with or without Google Sync. Google Sync is the default in later Android versions. See details below.
- Does not interfere with syncing from other third parties like Skype.
- Compatible with Android Version 2.2 to Version 4.2.
- It can handle up to 1000 contacts.
The User Interface (UI) of this package runs on a Windows PC, named OCT_Console.
What can you do with it?
Software Versions supported
Windows versions supported: Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8. Outlook versions supported: Outlook 2003, Outlook 2007, Outlook 2010, and Outlook 2013 Android versions supported: Version 2.2 to Version 4.2 inclusive.
Requirement: Android Debug Bridge (ADB) driver for your device installed on your PC. See below for details.
- Download OL_Contacts_Transfer or OL_Contacts_Transfer_Trial from Google Play. After installation, run the app and click [Check license] to make sure your software license is delivered to your phone.
- Download OCT_Console (for both paid & trial) software from here and install on your PC.
- Connect your Android to your PC and run the Console software. The following is a screenshot:
- Android Debug Bridge (ADB) driver not properly installed in PC. You may check if the ADB driver is installed in your PC with the procedure at this link: http://junefabrics.com/android/driver.php or this link: http://www.mobisynapse.com/forum/topic/how-to-know-if-the-adb-driver-is-installed-properly-on-android-phone. Samsung phone may be under “Samsung Android Phone” in Device Manager instead of “Android Phone”.
- PC not set up to run HTA. The console software is an HTA (html application) which should be run with “mshta.exe”. File type .hta should be associated with mshta.exe. If not, then you can download the fix from here: http://www.techsupportall.com/file-association-fixes/ Look for the row for .hta and download the fix. Unzip it and double-click on the .reg file.
About USB Android Debug Bridge (ADB) Driver
Your Android device requires several drivers to communicate to your PC. One of the drivers is called the ADB driver which allows your PC to communicate to the databases in your Android device.
The USB ADB driver should be installed automatically on Windows 7/8. In order to trigger automatic driver installation, USB Debugging should be enabled on your Android device before connecting to your PC. Please see below on how to enable USB Debugging. On Windows XP, the driver has to be downloaded and installed manually. See below for where to get ADB drivers.
Please also note that Windows 7/8 may install the wrong driver for newer devices. If this software does not work as expected, try to install a new driver from the links below.
Where to get ADB Drivers
The links for most of the drivers are available here: http://developer.android.com/tools/extras/oem-usb.html#Drivers
For Nexus devices, use this driver: http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html#download
For Samsung devices, use this driver: http://developer.samsung.com/android/tools-sdks/Samsung-Andorid-USB-Driver-for-Windows
How to Enable USB Debugging (watch demo)
USB Debugging must be enabled on your Android phone for this sotware to work. The procedure to enable it depend on your Android version:
– On devices running Android 3.2 or older, you can find the option under Settings > Applications > Development. – On Android 4.0 and newer, it’s in Settings > Developer options.
Note: On Android 4.2 and newer, Developer options is hidden by default. To make it available, go to Settings > About phone and tap Build number seven times. Return to the previous screen to find Developer options.
Notes on Windows 8
While installing the console software, you may get the following warning:
“Windows SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.”
To continue with the installing, click “More info” and then click “Run anyway”
Some devices may not have drivers for Windows 8 yet. During driver installation, you may have to use “compatibility” settings to complete the installation when prompted.
Classfications of Contacts
The contacts created from your phone are classified as phone contacts. If you elect to sync them with Google, these contacts will become Google contacts after syncing. Contacts transferred from Outlook are treated the same as phone contacts. An internet connection (wifi or cellular) is required for your phone contacts to become Google contacts. This software does not touch other contacts with their own syncing partners, like Skype. SIM contacts have to be converted to phone contacts before syncing with Outlook.
Deletion of Contacts
When unwanted contacts are deleted from your Android by this software, phone contacts are deleted immediately. Deletion of Google contacts is delayed until the next syncing with Google to give Google a chance to delete those items. Contacts pending deletion are not visible from your Android.
Preservation of Outlook Data
The mapping of Android and Outlook data fields are shown below:
Procedure to Transfer Contacts from iPhone to Android
- Transfer contacts from iPhone to Outlook by using iTune which can be downloaded from here.
- Transfer contacts from Outlook to Android by using OCT.